Events Of The Encampment
The important events at the encampment at Mount Sinai were:
- The people entered into a covenant with the Lord (Exodus 19:1-8).
- The people and priests were sanctified (Exodus 19:9-25).
- The ten commandments were proclaimed (Exodus 19:1-25; Exodus 20:1-17; Deuteronomy 5:1-22).
- The people were greatly frightened by the voice of the Lord and requested Moses to speak to them (Exodus 20:18-21).
- Moses, accompanied part of the way by Joshua and others, retired Into the mountain, where he spent forty days and nights with the Lord (Exodus 24:1,2,9-18).
- Moses received the pattern for the tabernacle (Exodus 25:1-40).
- Moses was commanded to set Aaron and his sons apart for the priestly office (Exodus 28:1).
- Bezaleel and Aholiab were called upon to take the lead in the construction of the house of the Lord (Exodus 31:1-6).
- The Lord gave Moses two tables of stone with the ten commandments written upon them (Exodus 31:18).
- The people, led by Aaron, fell into idolatry (Exodus 32:1-6).
- Moses pleaded in their behalf but broke the tables of stone as he descended from the mountain (Exodus 32:7-24).
- The Levites showed their devotion to the cause of the Lord (Exodus 32:25-35).
- Moses had a glimpse of the glory of God (Exodus 33:12-23).
- The tables of stone were renewed (Exodus 34:1-28).
- Moses returned from the mountain, erected an altar and sacrifices were offered upon it (Exodus 24:3-5; Exodus 35:29-35).
- The people again entered into a covenant with the Lord (Exodus 24:7,8; Hebrews 9:18-21).
- Moses called upon the people for a freewill offering of material for the construction of the tabernacle (Exodus 35:1-29).
- The people gave with such liberality that it was necessary to restrain them (Exodus 36:1-7).
- The tabernacle was set up (Exodus 40:1-38).
- Aaron and his sons were consecrated and fire descended upon the brazen altar (Leviticus 8:1-36; Leviticus 9:1-24).
- Nadab and Abihu were slain for desecrating the worship of God (Leviticus 10:1,2).
- The Levites were consecrated (Numbers 8:1-26).
- The second Passover was observed (Numbers 9:1-15).
- The order of the encampment was regulated (Numbers 2:1-34).
- The princes made their offerings (Numbers 7:1-9).
- The people were numbered (Numbers 1:1-46).