Seeking Justice And PeaceAuthor: Josué Mora Peña
Let us begin by explaining what peace is: "Peace is a state of quietness, to be calm, quiet or in repose; freedom from war or hostilities; absence of strife; tranquility of mind, harmony, serenity, etc. Cicero said, Peace is liberty in tranquility." Walt Whitman said, "Peace is always beautiful." Psalm 122:7 reads, "Peace be within thy walls and prosperity within thy palaces." Jesus said, "My peace I give unto you."
We all want peace, internal peace, peace of mind, peace with neighbors, peace among nations, peace in the family and above all peace with God. Man cannot bring peace. The governments havent been able to bring peace on earth. Religion does not bring peace. The isms, like Communism, materialism, conformism cannot bring peace. The New Age Movement, the Sects, the Hara Krishna, Transcendental Meditation and many other Oriental religions will never bring peace to men. Only God can.
Theres a new-life style now days and has been for decades where people do not get married, they just start living together. That, my friends, will not give peace of mind. Several states in the United States are legalizing same-sex-marriages. That will not bring peace on earth. The United Nations was organized in 1945with the purpose of bringing peace among the nations. Ironically, ever since then, there have been more wars all over the world than before. God is the only one who can give that peace.
This is the kind of peace that we all need:
- Peace of mind. That means peace with ourselves. Sometimes we are our worst enemy. Were never at peace with ourselves. Were mad at others, mad at the dog, mad at the world, mad with our family, mad at the church, mad with God. Always complaining. Never complacent. Many people are dissatisfied with themselves. They dont like themselves, in other words, they dont have peace within themselves. God can change that. He can give us peace of mind, internal peace. Psalm 34:14 says, "Seek peace and pursue it." Christ left us His peace, (John 14:27). Peace is one of the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22). Do we have that peace, or is there a war within our hearts.
- Peace in the world. The New-age Movement wants to bring peace into the world without God, but we hear of wars and rumors of wars all over the world.
- Peace with our Neighbors. I wonder how many of you know your neighbors, by name, with their children. I only know the names of two of them in our neighborhood. Sometimes there is envy among them. If they buy a new car, the neighbor has to have a new car, even if his or her car is in good shape. Worst yet is when there are strife among family, husband against wife, son vs. Mother, brother vs. brother. Even worse are the poor relationships among church people.
- Peace with God. If human beings dont have peace with God, they will never be at peace, period! As long as you and I are not at peace with God, there will not be peace in the world, in our hearts, with our neighbors. In other words, peace needs to begin with you and God is the only one who can give you that peace.
Conclusion: How to be at peace with God?
- Seek it. Desire it, Look for it. (Hebrews 12:14).
- Read the Bible daily. It is Gods law. Psalms 119:165 says, "Those who love thy law have great peace".
- Pray to God for peace, every day, not only when you feel you need that peace.
May God bless you!